Sunday, January 4, 2009

Beloved Trixie

Shortly before midnight, our beloved little chihuahua, Trixie, crossed over the Rainbow Bridge. She was a wonderful, lovable dog. She was quiet and never gave us any problems. All she ever gave was love. She had been having some health issues, but seemed to have overcome them. We thought we had a couple more years with her and her new found health.

We don't really know how old she was, she was about 9 years old when she came into our lives, and we had her for about 8 or 9 years. In all of the years we had her, I don't remember her getting into anything she wasn't supposed to, or barking/yapping, as chihuahuas have a reputation of doing. She just sat there quietly next to whomever was on the couch. Trixie made no demands on our time, when we had time for her, she was pleased, when we didn't, she sat there quietly.

Trixie had been a very abused and "broken" dog. We don't know what her previous owner had done to her, but it must have be horrific. Trixie never really recovered from the abuse. When I would reach down to pick her up or pet her, she would cower, fearful that she was going to be hit. She walked with her tail between her legs. It angers me to think of the things someone had done to that precious little dog. We gave her a loving home and I pray that her years with us made up for her earlier years. I hope she knew how much we loved her and wanted her.
I find myself fighting back tears of grief, and my heart is heavy with sorrow, but I have so many good memories to look back on with Trixie, that I will comfort in those memories and know she will always be with me. Trixie came quietly and unexpectedly into our lives, and she left us just as quietly and unexpectedly.

Rest in peace my little one. You are over the Rainbow Bridge now and you are healed. You can see and hear and you have all of your teeth. No one is going to hurt you there. Be free little one, run and play, enjoy yourself. We will always love you, my precious and beloved Trixie.

No comments: